Sunday, July 20, 2008

How Full is Your Glass?

I think that I have just had one of the worst weeks of my life....
Which is strange, because I`ve had so many....
You know, on second thought, I take it back. Not of my life, just one of the crappiest weeks I`ve had in a while.
I think the problem is, a lot of us buy into the thought process that continues the whole snowball effect. How many times have you heard someone say:

"When it rains, it pours"
"Oh, it`s just Murphy`s Law"
"Bad things always happen in 3`s"

Your just setting yourself up! If you think everything is going wrong, guess what is going to happen? It`s just like seeing the glass half empty, it`s all about perception. Unfortunately for me, I got caught up in the negativity, and I just added fuel to the fire. Although, every once in a while, I think it`s okay, maybe even necessary. It`s like having a good cry, it just feels good sometimes to let it all out.
I am ready to let all of this negativity go now. One week is enough indulgence for me. It`s time for me to get back on track... Time for me to remember, it`s not about what happens, it`s about how I receive it. It`s about seeing the brighter side of even the toughest moments...

My air conditioning went out and it was 100 degrees in my house.
Last week I was upset, couldn`t see how this could be happening to me... now I can say:
Thank you God, at least I have a house to live in. At least my children are fed and have a roof over their head. There are people living on the street.

One of my employees caused a lot of hardship for me at work.
Last week I was furious, how could she treat me this way? Now I can say:
Other people`s bitterness, is just jealousy, ignorance or insecurity. I can not be hurt by this, I chose how I feel. I have the choice to be happy.


I started to become lost in myself. Wondering what the purpose of all of this was, why this was happening to me.
Last week I was lost. Waiting for something to change. Now I can say:
If I don`t like what is happening, then I should get up and do something about it. Change can only happen by action.


Like George Bernard Shaw said:

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them."

Good. I`m motivated. If I don`t like what is happening, there is no one to blame but myself. This week I will not see the glass have full... I will see it overflowing with happiness in abundance.

Wish me luck!

No comments: